Re: sound volume and kerneld

William E. Roadcap (roadcapw@cfw.com)
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 14:37:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Christian Holtje <docwhat@crh1107.urh.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, William E. Roadcap wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, B. Galliart wrote:
> >
> > > I'm running into a problem with using the sound module with kerneld.
> > > Every time the modules is reloaded by kerneld it re-initalizes the volume.
> > > I also would be interested in hearing if anyone has come up with any sort
> > > of work around (regardless of how hokie it might be).
> >
> > This is an example line you can place in /etc/conf.modules. It is a work
> > options sound ; { mixer vol 90 ; mixer pcm 90 ;} >/dev/null 2>&1
> >
> > There may be another work around, but I'm not sure. At some point
>
> Of course, you can just insmod the module and leave it in memory...
> :)

Yes, but that's like the old joke about the guy who told the doctor it
hurts when I do this and the doctor tells him not to do that. ;-)

Not really a cure, huh? As the sound driver is quite large, I'll leave
mine as a module thank you. The idea is to find a work around when using
modules!

> And if you have a volume you like, you can edit the sources....

A bit more reasonable but can tend cause rejections when it comes time to
patch the kernel/sound driver.
__
William E. Roadcap mailto://roadcapw@cfw.com
TITUS Software ftp://titus.cfw.com/pub