Re: Moving Linux

Sun, 24 Mar 1996 22:21:58 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 23 Mar 1996, Eric F. Kahler (ekahler@mars.superlink.net) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to move my existing linux system to another partition -- I've got a
> disk going bad.
>
> I've done "cp -rpPd" on all directoried except /proc, /dev, and /home/ftp/dev
>
> What should I do for these directories? No "cp" options seem feasable.

Ignore the first (it dosent exist, it's really a virtual filesystem to
allow access to information in the kernel), and tar the others up,
something like:

"tar pO - /dev | tar pxv -C /mnt"
and:

"tar pO - /home/ftp/dev | tar pxv -C /mnt"
assuming the filesystem your moving it to is mounted on /mnt.
Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgoten,    \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.