Re: Keyboard errors (WAS Re: A minor error)

Paul Murray (root@s13r6.wadham.ox.ac.uk)
Sun, 24 Mar 1996 19:30:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 22 Mar 1996, Avery Pennarun wrote:
> One system of mine, and it's the only one I've seen, will now and then lock
> up completely with a "keyboard timeout" error. This completely disables
> interrupts and even eg. a ping can't get through. It most often happens
> during a console beep, though not always.
>
> After a few seconds to a minute of this, it will fix itself. Really
> strange, and really really annoying :( I suspect that Linux isn't
> responding to keyboard timeouts very well.
>
> This has been going on as long as I can remember, but I haven't pointed it
> out because I thought it was a local hardware problem. (Probably is.) But
> this thread sparked my interest...

I have been seeing this problem very occasionally, and it seems to
be linked to the use of setleds to free the led displays from their actual
values, or at least the only times I have seen it has been when I have had
all three leds disassociated from their actual state and all on for a length
of time. I then get maybe ten or fifteen of these (which seem to come from
line 176 of drivers/char/keyboard.c in 1.3.75) then the problem resets
itself.
Can't remember if this caused the machine to refuse remote logins,
but I had thought not.

-Paul Murray