Re: A minor error

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Sun, 24 Mar 1996 11:30:37 +0200 (EET)

On Sat, 23 Mar 1996, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Can't reproduce this. I pressed Alt+F3+F4 on our test server (P75, 32MB
> > RAM, ASUSTeK MB) and nothing happens - it just sits there staring at me
> > (you know what I mean). After, I can still do everything normally. Maybe
> > bad keyboard / KB controller chip? That'd be my best guess on that one.
>
> Can reproduce on an ASUS P54PND dual P90 been like it for a while, I assumed
> banging lots of buttons produces keyboard error messages - is this actually
> a bug ??

No, it's not a bug. The "keyboard error" message only means that the
_keyboard_ sent us a error code (I think it's 0xff, but I'm too lazy to
check). So it doesn't depend on anything else than the actual keyboard
itself: some have better key decoding than others, and some ignore error
conditions.

You can just uncomment the printk if it really disturbs you, or just
avoid sitting on your keyboard ;-)

Linus