Re: kernel bugs

David A Willmore (willmore@cig.mot.com)
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 15:38:51 -0600

On Mar 21, 8:30pm, d-seaman@ukans.edu wrote:
> Subject: kernel bugs
>
> For those of you who missed it on comp.os.linx announce, here is a cool
> announcement:
>
> ---------
>
> All,
>
> I have run the Linux kernel (version 1.3.70) through my companies
> coding standards tool. The compressed log of the results can
> be obtained via the page www.knosof.co.uk/ospclin.html
>
> US users can ftp to ricker.gt.ed.net/pub/linux/ospc (thanks
> to Chris Ricker).
>
> derek
>
> - --
> Derek M Jones tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
> Knowledge Software Ltd email: derek@knosof.co.uk
>
> --------
>
> Might be cool to check this out before 2.0 is released. Might find some
> bugs...

Also might find out that the output is close to useless. Over 3500 reports of
'reserved symbols' being used. Well, duah! Where does this tool expect them
to get defined if not in the kernel? I imagine that it would suffer the same
fate when looking at the libc source. Outside of nice, happy, portable user
mode code, ANSI C isn't all that useful. Oh, I guess there's function
prototypes... :)

I'm sure it's a nice tool, but don't forget 'the right tool for the right job'
still applies.

Cheers,
David