Re: Jettisoning init code (was: nfsroot anyone?)

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 14:23:25 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <clISBjW00YUsQgi4Ju@andrew.cmu.edu>,
Brian M Grunkemeyer <bg2k+@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>=20
> Beyond just the kernel, could this work for all applications? If we
No. See below why not.

> could add sections for initial code and data as well as terminating c=
ode
> (if there is anything that can be classified this way...), then we co=
uld
There isn't, or not much.

> reduce the memory usage significantly on a system. First, you'd neve=
> need to keep the init code in memory.
No application code is _ever_ kept in memory, or loaded there, unless i=
t's
either used or on the same page with code that is used. (OK, OK, so a.o=
ut
_did_ have a format which forced the loader to get everything; it was u=
sed
mostly for small binaries which could be kept even smaller that way.
ELF doesn't do that.)

> The terminating sections could be left on disk, [=
...]
They already are.

> It would save a decent amount of memory.=20
I don't think so...

--=20
Nitrate - cheapest price for calling long distance.
--=20
Matthias Urlichs \ XLink-POP N=FCrnberg | EMail: urlichs@smurf.=
noris.de
Schleiermacherstra=DFe 12 \ Unix+Linux+Mac | Phone: ...please use =
email.
90491 N=FCrnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Networking+Programming+etc'i=
ng 42
PGP: 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 DE=20
Click <A HREF=3D"http://smurf.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>.