Re: Current Status

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 13:05:07 +0200 (EET)

> > Normal setups or just SMP?
>
> Normal should work just as well.
>
> > Huh? Like this?
> > 1: mmap(), write 4MB
> > 2: open(), ftruncate() - and close() or not?
>
> As two processes - the first mmaps a data area for read then writes it to
> another file. This takes page faults during the write (paging in the memory
> we mmap'd). The second process does an ftruncate which revokes the memory
> from under the first process mmap during a page fault: What you get
> therefore is ext2fs suddenely trying to write from non existant pages and
> "Oops..." messages galore as well as a mess that e2fsck moans about a fair
> bit but seems to fix.

This should be fixed in 1.3.77: the bug was trivial. I just hadn't even _heard_
of the problem before, so there is some lack of communication from somebody.

(I'm not on all the mailing lists, and I don't have time to read all the
newsgroups, so if there are problems like this people should cc them to me)

Linus