announce: ext2 compression patch

shaggenbunsenburner (shagboy@thecia.net)
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 20:29:59 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, lilo wrote:

> > Gee, the more things change, the more they stay the same. The inventor
> > of the xiafs once tried to have his filesystem renamed the "Linuxfs",
> > since it was obviously the superior filesystem that everyone would use
> > by default. He was being extremely arrogant and everyone ignored him,
> > but it's a bit odd to here someone making the claim that the ext2
> > filesystem should be called the "Linux filesystem", even if we do have a
> > better claim for it than Xia ever did....
>
> Well, there's a difference between a suggestion and a claim. My comment
> constituted the former. And, since it's not my code, I don't consider it
> especially arrogant to make the suggestion, just practical. ;) And, yes, I'm
> familiar enough with the history of extfs and ext2fs to understand why they
> were called that. No one is suggesting that anyone has a `claim' to be
> staked--just that ext2 is a native linux filesystem, and probably ought to
> be labeled that way to avoid confusion.
>
> Sheesh! Touchy egos in this group. Hmmm, nothing new.... ;)

Boy, ain't that the truth... I agree, we should probably adopt ext2 as
"the" Linux FS. Changing the name at this point is probably not the
wisest of ideas, as it'll confuse everyone for months (witness the recent
flurry of "make is broken" messages - that changed a while ago).
However, I think we should probably change the name eventually, and if
Remy Card is agreeable, we should have him change the name "officially".
I don't know what he'll think of this, although I know I would be proud
to have my work made the "official" supported one.

In any case, we should decide on SOMETHING to call "lfs" or whatever.
Personally, I don't think it should have a letter-based name; there's too
many of those already. Why not something like BSD or SunOS, where they
give it a numerical name? It could be called type 1.2 or something, to
match the fact that the 1.2 release was when it was "officially" declared
THE Linux FS. I know the number probably isn't right; let's call it type
2.0 then or something.

Also - Can we take the guesses about what [a-z]fs stands for OFF
linux-kernel and into private email? There have been at least 20
messages in the last 24 hours speculating on just what *fs stands for
exactly; personally, I don't give a damn. And it's certainly not related
to linux-kernel. Isn't this information available on rtfm.mit.edu
somewhere?

shag

Judd Bourgeois shagboy@thecia.net
Finger for PGP public key
The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South
Boston which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South
End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End.