Re: FTP for latest patch

Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 12:49:11 -0500

From: Matti E Aarnio <mea@mea.cc.utu.fi>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 08:47:08 +0200 (EET)

I believe there is kernel source mirror-site list
somewhere out there.

Due to network connectivity issues, ftp.funet.fi is well
reachable from USA, and far slower from most of the Europe..
(The only 34/45 Mbps link between Europe and USA comes to
NORDUnet, where FUNET is connected to with a 34 Mbps link..)

Note that in the States, tsx-11.mit.edu mirrors ftp.funet.fi on a daily
basis, and we have a pretty direct connection to the MCI, NEARnet, and
Alternet Backbones. For those people in Massachusetts with dialup
connections, TIAC will soon have a T1 line dedicated for MIT traffic.

Also, we have recently upgraded tsx-11 to be a Alpha running OSF/1,
thanks to Digital's generosity. (We will eventually upgrade TSX-11 to
run Linux instead of OSF/1. However, tsx-11 needs to be running a fully
production-ready OS, and be able to handle network traffic very
robustly, and with all due respect of all of the people working hard on
the Linux port, I don't think it's quite there yet. I'd be very happy
to be proven wrong, though.) For this reason, CPU bandwidth isn't a
problem, and response should be quite zippy.

So for within the U.S., the kernel sources located at tsx-11.mit.edu,
/pub/linux/sources/system/v1.[23] should be a good site to try.

- Ted