RE: 1.3.76 and VT switching

Steve Groner (sgroner@vmnet.com)
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 06:47:16 -0800

Can someone give me instructions to get off of this list please, it is =
much to busy fo me.

Steve Groner

----------
From: Ulrich Windl[SMTP:Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 1996 11:28 PM
To: Thomas K/nig
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: 1.3.76 and VT switching

On 19 Mar 96 at 16:12, Thomas K=F6nig wrote:

> I just had a rather strange experience with 1.3.76. I had just
> connected to a few thousand hosts (using ssh-keyscan) and was
> recompiling the kernel, when I wanted to switch virtual terminals.
> The system didn't react to this for a few seconds at a time. I could
> scroll back in the VT with immediate effect, and pressing Enter also
> worked.
>=20
> After a few seconds, the switches were indeed done; apparently,
> no keystrokes were lost, the system just waited for a few seconds
> before doing anything.
>=20
> At the time, nothing was in swap; due to the kernel compilation, ther=
> was a rather high disk activity, though.

I noticed that around '71 disk buffers (or call it cached data) go a=20
bit too low sometimes. Then response time can be bad. Maybe there are=20
some tuning measures?

BTW. Wondering about the rising temeratures in spring, I wonder if a=20
code freeze is still possible. Maybe we should try it one more before=20
it gets really hot ;-)

> --=20
> Thomas Koenig, Thomas.Koenig@ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de, ig25@dkauni2.bitne=
t.
> The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double
> logarithmic diagram.

Ulrich