Re: rmdir system call

Leonard N. Zubkoff (lnz@dandelion.com)
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 00:54:12 -0800

From: "Ulrich Windl" <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 09:42:19 +0100

Maybe /../atlantis/lnz/foo would have been better (Back in '85 I saw
some Edition7 having that extension).

Doesn't look any prettier to me and it takes longer to type. Both /../ and //
require special parsing at the beginning of the path, so there's no greater
"purity" in /../

I do find it amusing that URLs have essentially resurrected the Domain/OS
syntax, albeit with a protocol and optional port number.

<sigh> There are definitely some features of Domain/OS I miss. Because demand
paged virtual memory across the network was implemented in the guts of the OS,
it was much easier to fix a machine that had lost some critical files. You'd
just boot it to the Phase II shell, which as I recall required far fewer files
working that the typical Unix single user mode, and then look around the file
system from another node over the net and fix whatever needed it.

Waxing nostalgic...

Leonard