Re: inetd Messages

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 23:15:39 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, David Lynes wrote:

> Could someone please tell me what the following message in the syslog
> file means?
>
> inetd[44]: /usr/sbin/nmbd: exit status 0x1
> [last message repeated 26 times.]

Anybody finding these messages in their syslog, or the nmbd program in
their /etc/inetd.conf file should IMMEDIATELY shut down inetd, remove the
line concerning nmbd, and check their nmbd file size. I'm not sure if
there is a legitimate program out there named nmbd, but that is one of
the back doors that was installed in my system a few weeks ago. It
allowed anyone telnetting to port 41 the ability to reboot or shutdown my
machine! The file size on my machine was approxiamately 4K (I'm not sure
since I removed it from the hard drive completely, would have to pull it
off of tape). If no one knows of a real use for this program, or a real
program under this name, then it may very well mean that your machines
security HAS been comprimised!

* Doug Ledford * Unix, Novell, Dos, Windows 3.x, *
* dledford@dialnet.net 873-DIAL * WfW, Windows 95 & NT Technician *
* Springfield, MO and surrounding * Usenet news, e-mail and shell account.*
* communities. Sign-up online at * Web page creation and hosting, other *
* 873-9000 V.34 * services available, call for info. *