Re: Bad in 1.3.76

G.W. Wettstein (greg@wind.rmcc.com)
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 15:02:59 CST

On Mar 20, 10:55am, Seth Goldberg wrote:
} Subject: Bad in 1.3.76

> Hi there,

Good day, I hope that this note finds your week going well.

> BTW: Does anyone know how I can get syslogd or klogd to record oops's in
> the messages or syslog file? That way , i dont have to be at thew
> computer to figure out what went wrong..

klogd is the agent that is responsible for handling kernel log
messages. It is typically run as a client of syslogd. Make sure that
you get the most current version of the package which is 1.3. The
sources can be found on either tsx-11 or sunsite.

The first thing that should be done is to insure that you have an
entry in the syslog configuration file for kernel messages. A
prototype might be:

# Example syslogd configuration file.
# This line directs kernel messages into a file in /var/adm/kernel.msgs
kern.* /var/adm/kernel.msgs

Restart syslogd or optionly send it a SIGHUP to cause the deamon to
re-read its configuration files. You should notice that the filename
specified has now appeared. You should now probably kill of klogd and
re-start it to make sure that klogd is properly connected to syslogd.
All kernel messages should now appear in the specified file.

If you would like klogd to translate the kernel addresses in the EIP
and call traces you will need to provide it a symbol table from the
kernel compilation. In the parent directory of the kernel sources you
should find a file called System.map. Klogd will automatically find
and load this map if it is in any of the following locations:

/usr/src/linux/System.map
/System.map
/boot/System.map

If the symbol map cannot reside in any of these locations you can use
the -k command-line switch to specify an exact location for the map.

When klogd starts up it will print version and status information.
Included in the status information will be the number of symbols it
loaded and whether or not the symbols match the current kernel.

The only caveat to all this is that addresses from dynamically loaded
modules will not be correctly resolved. I am currently teaching klogd
to read the kernel symbol table and use this as an extra source of
symbold information. Hopefully this will enable better debugging of
loadable modules.

> Thx,
> Seth

Please let me know if you have any difficulties or need additional
assistance.

Greg

}-- End of excerpt from Seth Goldberg

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein Oncology Research Div. Computing Facility
Roger Maris Cancer Center INTERNET: greg@wind.rmcc.com
820 4th St. N.
Fargo, ND 58122
Phone: 701-234-7556
`The truest mark of a man's wisdom is his ability to listen to other
men expound their wisdom.' -- GWW