Re: 1.3.76 and Load Averages?

Andy Dustman (andy@ccmsd.chem.uga.edu)
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 11:00:53 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Mar 1996 d-seaman@ukans.edu wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, root wrote:
>
> > Tonight, after returning home from work, I noticed xload graphing a small
> > but noticable mountainside :) while a small utility called Dali Clock is
> > running. With 1.3.75, my xload was normally flatlined. Starting a
> > couple of other simple X applications while under 1.3.76 (Xcd and Xtrek)
> > caused xload (uptime, and top included) to shoot up to over 1.10 load avg.
> > The only time when I usually see that much activity is when I recompile
> > my kernel.
> >
> > I'm using procps package 0.99 on a Pentium 120mhz with 32mb of RAM.
>
> Same thing here. I left my single user system running all nigth with no
> basically no processes running. When I woke up and ran top, my load was
> nearly 1.0. Genenerally it's 0.00 or 0.01 under <1.3.75.

I don't know if I'm having the same problem or not. I'm running pine and
netscape and xdaliclock with a xlock running as my screen background and
getting a loadaverage of about 0.5 on top. That seems a little higher
than usual. (For those wondering, my background is xlock -mode hop -root,
high nice, which takes virtually no CPU time at all.) But then, it
certainly isn't 1.10. My hardware setup: 75 MHz Pentium, 32 MB RAM.
Software: 1.3.76, procps 0.99. How old is your X?

Andy Dustman / Computational Center for Molecular Structure and Design / UGA
===== For PGP public key: finger andy@neptune.chem.uga.edu | pgp -fka =====
Sure, the Telecomm Act will create jobs: 100,000 new thought-cops on the net
http://charon.chem.uga.edu/~andy mailto:andy@neptune.chem.uga.edu <}+++<