Re: when/how do we rescan partitions?

Drew Eckhardt (drew@poohsticks.org)
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 00:02:10 -0700

In message <9603191743.AA05091=aeb@zeus.cwi.nl>, Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl writes:
>Marty Leisner:
>
>: Does opening up /dev/hdb R/W and writing the parition table
>: force a rescan of the
>: partition table?
>
>: I don't see it...
>
>Yes. fdisk must of course do a BLKRRPART ioctl to tell
>the kernel that partition tables have changed.

Which doesn't fully work when extended partitions are involved. When
I repartitioned my 1.2G IDE drive, my Linux file system residing in a
newly created logic drive in an extended partition moved by 512 bytes
when I rebooted. Grr.

-
By using this line in your .sig, you violate 18 USC 1462, committing a class D
felony, good for up to 5 years in prison and a $250,000 fine:
Planned Parenthood provides information on abortions.