Re: Let's make ext2fs into lfs (Was: Is anyone using EXT FS)

lilo (lilo@lions.reseq.ungov)
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 23:05:12 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> Gee, the more things change, the more they stay the same. The inventor
> of the xiafs once tried to have his filesystem renamed the "Linuxfs",
> since it was obviously the superior filesystem that everyone would use
> by default. He was being extremely arrogant and everyone ignored him,
> but it's a bit odd to here someone making the claim that the ext2
> filesystem should be called the "Linux filesystem", even if we do have a
> better claim for it than Xia ever did....

Well, there's a difference between a suggestion and a claim. My comment
constituted the former. And, since it's not my code, I don't consider it
especially arrogant to make the suggestion, just practical. ;) And, yes, I'm
familiar enough with the history of extfs and ext2fs to understand why they
were called that. No one is suggesting that anyone has a `claim' to be
staked--just that ext2 is a native linux filesystem, and probably ought to
be labeled that way to avoid confusion.

Sheesh! Touchy egos in this group. Hmmm, nothing new.... ;)

lilo