Re: Triton chipset & bridge optimizing

Gerard Roudier (groudier@iplus.fr)
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 01:06:29 +0000 (GMT)

Jauder,

On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Jauder Ho wrote:

> I ran scanpci and can you help me interepret what the following means?

Don't call this piece of code "scanpci". May be called "show82434".
The piece of code I submitted to Graham and you does not probe the chipset.
It assumes that it is an Intel 82434 (lx or nx).
It is an example that works only for Mercurey and Neptune Chipset.

If your chipset is a Triton, the result has no meaning at all.

It is easy to write a command tool that probe the chipset, print its
configuration and allow to tune parameters.

It should be very usefull to add some part of the pci support of FreeBSD
to Linux.

However, it seems to me that some people prefers reinvent the wheel.

> turtle:/u/jauderho# ./scanpci
> CPU: (unknown), CPU->Memory posting ON, read around write
> Warning: DRAM parity mask!
> Cache: 512KB writeback, cache clocks=3-1-1-1
> Cache flags: cache-all byte-control powersaver
> DRAM: memory clocks=X-3-3-3 (50ns), RAS-wait, CAS-wait
> CPU->PCI: posting ON, burst mode ON, PCI clocks=2-1-1-1
> PCI->Memory: posting ON
> Refresh: CAS#/RAS#(Hidden) BurstOf4

Regards, Gerard.