Re: nfsroot anyone?

Gero Kuhlmann (gero@gkminix.han.de)
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 16:31:07 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

You (David S. Miller) wrote:
> Bzzt, wrong answer, on the Sparc for example putting this into the
> kernel is the _only_ way to acquire the functionality. We do not have
> the option of reblowing our PROM's on SparcStations.

The SparcStation rom (BIOS or however it's called there) probably knows
all the parameters, either by using BOOTP, or bootparamd, or RARP or
maybe something completely different. So, is there a way of giving this
information from the rom to the just loaded kernel? If so, just write
a small secondary loader, which assembles all the information from the
system into a kernel command line, and then calls the kernel. That's
the way I use for my netboot-nfs package. If you want to have an
example just take a look at it on sunsite. BTW: a new bootrom code,
which can also be run from a floppy, can be found on ftp.ix.de:
/pub/ix/Linux/iX-Terminal/new-bootroms. I'm going to prepare an
updated version, which you can then find on sunsite, hopefully soon.

gero.

--
Fanaticism consists of redoubling your efforts when you have forgotten your
aim.			- Santayana