Let's make ext2fs into lfs (Was: Is anyone using EXT FS)

lilo (lilo@lions.reseq.ungov)
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 09:12:04 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Johan Myr=E9en?= wrote:

> I think the config script should be changed so that it asks if you want
> the ext file system AFTER it has asked if you want the ext2 file system.
> The ext file system could perhaps also be labeled "the OLD ext file
> system". I once fell in this trap myself: I answered yes to the ext file
> system by mistake, even if I knew perfectly well that ext2 was what I
> wanted. When the script asked for ext2, I hit myself on my head, pressed
> Ctrl-C and started all over again...

At this point, it really would be helpful to rename the ext2 filesystem to,
`the Linux filesystem' (lfs). It's not the only native filesystem we have,
by any means, but it IS the flagship filesystem. It tends to drive
development of new features.

It would be a lot less confusing to make this change. Extfs was fine in its
day, Xiafs is good but not used as much, distributors tend to use ext2fs by
default at this point. Minix is great but not a native Linux filesystem.
When newbies set up a new filesystem, they need to know that their first
choice will probably be `linuxfs'....

The fact that ext2fs is the second attempt to extend the minix filesystem is
by now of historical interest more than practical interest. Let's archive
lots of documentation on what was done. But let's change ext2fs to `lfs' or
`linuxfs' or some such....

lilo