Re: imapd and synchronous writes

Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 21:49:47 -0500

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 19:25:50 -0500 (EST)
From: John Gardiner Myers <jgm+@cmu.edu>

> The
> real deficiency is the lack of any defined semantics in Unix/POSIX,
> and the lack of any standard way for an application to request a
> certain level of service with regards to directories.

To the extent that the Linux community uses lack of specification in
POSIX as an excuse to fail to provide necessary functionality, that is
a problem with the Linux community.

But the Linux *does* provide ways of meeting your functionality, and
when I've pointed them out to you, you've complained that it's not
standardized! So it seems that we can't win, given the rules which you
are playing by....

- Ted