Re: Can't reboot from 1.3.75

Brian Brock (brian@ziggy.resnet.jmu.edu)
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 16:45:14 -0500 (EST)

I've noticed the same problem myself with newer kernels, altough i seem
to remember it as easrly as the mid 60s. it's rare enough i only notice
it when rebooting several times in a row, and i can't find a way to
repeat it, but high loads just prior to a reboot seem to cause it (i wish
i could be more specific - mail me if someone out there wants helpful info
i'm not thinking to include).

i don't use nfs, and i haven't noticed any instability prior to rebooting.

my problem apparently is caused by the existence of /etc/shutdownpid - so
deleting that file fixes the problem.

apologies if this has been discussed before, i frequently have to delete
chunks of unread mail to keep up with this list.

Brian

| brian@ziggy.resnet.jmu.edu / brockbw@jmu.edu |
| http://ziggy.resnet.jmu.edu/ |
| finger for PGP public key |