Re: nfsroot anyone?

David S. Miller (davem@caip.rutgers.edu)
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 12:44:30 -0500

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 11:55:17 -0500 (EST)
From: Erik Troan <ewt@elroy.redhat.com>

On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, David S. Miller wrote:

> Bzzt, wrong answer, on the Sparc for example putting this into the
> kernel is the _only_ way to acquire the functionality. We do not have
> the option of reblowing our PROM's on SparcStations.

But you could put the functionality in a second stage boot loader (such
as SILO).

I didn't think of this. This would definatly work. However there is
a small snag that now all bootloaders have this big shared set of
code, agreed it could be made into a nice generic library, but so it
would be so much easier to maintain and look after if it sits in the
kernel tree.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@caip.rutgers.edu