Re: PPP Slowdown

G.W. Wettstein (greg@wind.rmcc.com)
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 11:41:36 CST

On Mar 18, 11:55am, Alan Cox wrote:

} Subject: Re: PPP Slowdown

> > I second the fact that PPP seems to be slowed down in 1.3.73+ .. as my
> > ping replies have gone from 190ms to 260ms reply times.. It is not the
> > fault of the providor, nor is it the fault of the pinged machine... The
> > only thing it could be is linux. Under windows 95, I get 190ms ping time
> > flawlessly... Maybe it interrupt latency that increased??
>
> The interrupt latency has gone through the roof in 1.3.7x kernels, I'm
> losing characters at 57,600 on a 486 that with 1.3.32 is 100% solid with
> hdparm -u 1 set.

I concur with Alan on this point. We are testing 1.3.xx kernels on a
pair of our development machines and are seeing serial overrun errors
that we have never seen before.

The development machines are running our interrogatory engines which
sit and make numerous serial connections to mainframe hosts on the
corporate backbone. The load is not higher on these machines but the
complaints from the kernel are up.

> Alan

Greg

}-- End of excerpt from Alan Cox

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein Oncology Research Div. Computing Facility
Roger Maris Cancer Center INTERNET: greg@wind.rmcc.com
820 4th St. N.
Fargo, ND 58122
Phone: 701-234-7556
`The truest mark of a man's wisdom is his ability to listen to other
men expound their wisdom.' -- GWW