Re: CONFIG_PNP: Please change the name

Mike Kilburn (duxmike@iafrica.com)
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 19:19:29 +0200

hab wrote:

> automate this configuration. It is still my contention that a well
> designed board will allow the manual overide of these features for
> the power user, who has the right reason to make the override.

Yes. We would never design a board than was PnP only.

> machine readable. Right now Plug N Play still seems to be a selling
> feature that is substituted for poor documentation in some off brand

Our purpose for ISA PnP is to aid resource managment software. We
dont really view it as a selling feature, rather we hope someday
soon good sofware will be available and our board will be easier
to deal with. This is the selling point, when users know they dont
have any problems setting up our boards.

> play to. I made the assumption that the Hardware person who asked
> about pitfalls was truely interested in why some of us had found
> problems with PnP. I did not say that I had abandoned PnP, only
> that I was selective in which PnP devices I bought.

Am am interested in hardware PnP problems. I know the Win95 software
is bad. I dont care about that. I thought maybe the original complaint
was of a flaw in the spec. As far as poor hardware implementations, we
wont be one of them.

Cheers,
Mike Kilburn