Re: CONFIG_PNP: Please change the name

Lauri Tischler (ltischler@fipower.fi)
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 10:48:20 GMT +2

Anno Domini 18 Mar 96 at 8:37, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> On 17 Mar 96 at 17:19, Lauri Tischler wrote:
>
> > Not trying to discourage anybody doing development for Linux, this
> > is one area where great care must be observed.
> > The Notorious Plughg-and-Pray system. IMHO its useless in its best
> > and a total disaster on its worst.
> > If such a system comes to Linux, PLEASE make sure that in can be
> > TOTALLY disabled.
>
> Despite of problems with PnP cards, PnP BIOSes, there is still a
> benefit of the PnP technology (in my opinion): People have to try to
> allocate their resources corrdctly. I think having a file in /proc
> one day that shows your complete hardware configuration would be
> quite valuable for debugging hardware related problems. Thus OS/2,
> while not being able to PnP officially, already has a working
> resource manager. Why not Linux?

Definately there is a benefit in having a resource manager in Linux.
Hopefully it is not a braindamaged type of intelligence which totally
refuses to take into consideration hardcoded, user given info
(jumpers on legacycards). This is presently the case in most PnP
implementations. This is _really_ my only consern about PnP. We
must be able to live with legacycards for years to come and in many
cases only the most bizarre combination of settings works. Settings,
which has been tweaked to perfection by trial-and-error over many
frustrated hours.
Cheers...

--
Lauri Tischler, Network Admin          Tel: +358-0-47846331
Finlandia Interface Oy                 Fax: +358-0-47846500