Re: CONFIG_PNP: Please change the name

Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 08:37:11 +0100

On 17 Mar 96 at 17:19, Lauri Tischler wrote:

> Not trying to discourage anybody doing development for Linux, this
> is one area where great care must be observed.
> The Notorious Plughg-and-Pray system. IMHO its useless in its best
> and a total disaster on its worst.
> If such a system comes to Linux, PLEASE make sure that in can be
> TOTALLY disabled.

Despite of problems with PnP cards, PnP BIOSes, there is still a
benefit of the PnP technology (in my opinion): People have to try to
allocate their resources corrdctly. I think having a file in /proc
one day that shows your complete hardware configuration would be
quite valuable for debugging hardware related problems. Thus OS/2,
while not being able to PnP officially, already has a working
resource manager. Why not Linux?

Ulrich