Re: CONFIG_PNP: Please change the name

hab (hab@ece.engr.ucf.edu)
Sun, 17 Mar 1996 18:12:19 -0500

Andrew Mileski wrote:

> >> One of our engineers is busy adding PnP to our ISA WAN board. He thought
> >> the system was quite nice. After reading the specs from Intel, I also
> >> thought is was a good system. Why do you think its useless? I would
> >> be very interested in any pitfalls you are aware of.
> >
> > My personal experience borders on the disaster side.
>
> Funny - I haven't even FINISHED Linux support yet :-)
>
> Don't pin judgement on the Linux project when you're using an
> INFERIOR Plug-and-Play implementation on a lame OS like Windows95
> or DOS.
>
> But *DO* voice your opinions on what you *WANT* the Linux
> implementation to do/not do. I'm *ALWAYS* open for suggestions.
>
> > Plug and Play is nice if the automatic answers work. If not
> >they are a disaster.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Get a DECENT PnP implimentation on a DECENT OS with software
> configurable devices (PnP, PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, etc.) and
> you'll have fewer headaches.
>
> -- Andrew E. Mileski --
> mailto:dmtech@magi.com http://www.redhat.com/~aem/
> "The best programmers are lazy", so I'm told.
> I haven't gotten around to seeing if it is true or not though.

If you read the chain my response was to a hardware developer
who solicited questions about the pitfalls of PnP at the time
I had the problems Linux did not have PnP, and your implementation
may work the majority of the time but I do not believe you are
an all knowing being and I am sure that problems will be found.
My suggestion was to allow the Knowedgable "Power User" the
ability to overide automatic selections. Especially since they
may not depend on only one OS. In my business I am expected to
answer about all OS's. I routinely suggest different OS's depending
on the user and the application. A major advantage of Linux is
the freely available source code (If you can read it and the mind
of the developer). But one software solution alone can not give
the flexability of carefully designed hardware. The software may
provide work arounds but the hardware engineer can make software
alot easier.

Hubert Bahr
MsCpe