Re: Zip Disks.

Jonathan A. Davis (jonathan@evergreen.cc.usm.edu)
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 21:01:51 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 16 Mar 1996, Phillip wrote:

> Has anyone heard of getting a zip drive working under Linux? I'm mostly
> interseted in the parallel version, but I also welcome info about the
> SCSI version.
> TIA

Take a look at kernel 1.3.75, I saw a patch that included ZIP parallel
support while I was browsing. Hmmm. Strangely enough, it's located in
the SCSI config section. Found this blurb in linux/Documentation/
Configure.help on it.

--------------snip--------------
IOMEGA Parallel Port ZIP drive SCSI support
CONFIG_SCSI_PPA
This driver supports the parallel port version of IOMEGA's ZIP
drive (a 100Mb removable media device). For more infomation
about this driver and how to use it you should read the file
drivers/scsi/README.ppa. You should also read the SCSI-HOWTO,
which is available via anonymous ftp from sunsite.unc.edu in
the directory /pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO. This driver is also available
as a module which can be inserted in and removed from the
running kernel whenever you want. If you want to compile it as a
module, say M here and read Documentation/modules.txt.

Cheers,

-Jonathan _ _
Jonathan A. Davis | Academic Systems Analyst | Hattiesburg/Gulf Park/Stennis
Computing Center | Box 5171 | 39401-5171 | (601) 266-4103 | davis@cc.usm.edu
http://evergreen.cc.usm.edu/~davis | Linux: The choice of a GNU generation