Re: Dropping Kernel Size

Mark Cooke (mpc@star.sr.bham.ac.uk)
Sun, 17 Mar 1996 01:18:52 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 16 Mar 1996, Speed Racer wrote:
> > 4 Mb or 6 Mb, who cares.
> > Saving 2 or so megabytes on disk is totally ridiculous comparing to
> > total confusion of having various distributions.
<snip>
> things are confusing already. i don't think we could get too much more
> confused. and i say again, we don't all have t1's to download a 5 MB
> kernel in just a minute or two...

Patches tend to be under 500K a pop. The automatic patch script makes
using them a doddle. Anyone sucking each new 4Mb source tree off the net
is just wasting bandwidth, IMHO. The arguement about actual size is a
moot point. The arguement for reducing the clutter of obsolete drivers
has some merit. However, having everything in one place is very useful
and for the sake of a few extra minutes online grabbing the latest
source/patches it's well worth it.

We should note that Joe Average commercial user using Linux is going to
use a distribution anyway, and that once it works, its not something that
would be changed to often.

Btw, a small wrapper that I have in /usr/src that I run after grabbing the
latest patches into my local ftp archive saves on those keystrokes when
using patches.

#!/bin/sh
./linux/scripts/patch-kernel /usr/src/linux /ftp/pub/linux/v1.3

Mark