Re: init bug / crash recovery

Avery Pennarun (apenwarr@foxnet.net)
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 19:59:28 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 16 Mar 1996, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> In linux.dev.kernel, article <199603160513.AAA19950@krakatoa.ccs.neu.edu>,
> Albert Cahalan <albert@ccs.neu.edu> writes:
> > > It's looking for a shared libary, and can't find it.
> > Then there is a bug somewhere, because something (the shell?)
> > told the user "/mnt/sbin/e2fsck not found" instead of
> > "libsomething version x.y.z not found" or "foo() not found in libsomething".
> >
> The problem is that the exec() call returns -1 and ENOENT, which means "no
> such file". _Which_ file, it doesn't say...
>
> > Any ideas?
> >
> No. Presumably the shell could check with access() if the file is (still)
> there, and report "probably a shared library problem" in that case.

Ack, don't change the shell!

I believe the bug is in ld.so, the shared library loader. This bug was
corrected a _long_ time ago but apparently Slackware still uses an old
ld.so.

Regardless, the whole idea of using a.out on the boot disks and elf on the
installed system is crazy, and has caused me annoyance more than once. You
might try a different distribution next time, like Red Hat or Debian,
neither of which has problems like this.

Avery