Re: Outstanding pre-production issues and next dev. cycle...

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 06:22:15 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <199603071459.PAA27889@lrc.epfl.ch>,
Werner Almesberger <almesber@lrc.epfl.ch> writes:

> - initrd will probably find some other interesting uses, e.g. for
> heterogenous large sites

That's exactly what I'm planning to do. We have systems with four different
SCSI adapters here. Building a separate kernel for each of them is out of
the question, and the dead code for multiple adapters is simply annoying.

> Since many people will want to stay at 1.4/2.0 (like many did and still
> do at 1.2), this may easily lead to some "unofficial standard patch",
> which has unpleasant maintenance properties for distributors and for
> users who want to rebuild the kernel.

Like ELF-compileable 1.2.13... but even more ugly.

> bzImage+initrd don't touch too many other areas of the system, so I
> think there'd be more than enough time to stabilize it in 1.3.

Yep.

--
Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you
started.