Re: Outstanding pre-production issues and next dev. cycle...

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 06:26:58 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <199603071828.LAA28207@rover.village.org>,
Warner Losh <imp@village.org> writes:

> I'd likely get shot for suggesting this, but it would be interesting
> iif long term there would be a way for the kernel driver interface to
> be standardized so that all the Free OSes can use each other's
> drivers. Likely just a pipe dream :-(

The problem is the kernel support code which a driver can expect to see
from the system...

We'd need a consistent "standard" kernel interface. Hmm. Certainly doable
if the driver doesn't get too fancy, but people who know both kernels (uh,
bunches of kernels in "their" case -- how many *BSDs are there by now and
are they incompatible at this level?) well enough to do this typically have
better things to do, like earn some money. Or write next year's OS. Or...

--
Boy, I sure wish that I could be in the 'Advanced Systems Development' group!