Re: default keymaping and fsck-recovery

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 06:50:26 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <Pine.LNX.3.91.960309013632.360A-100000@Bi=
blio.MI.Uni-Koeln.DE>,
Winfried Truemper <truemper@mi.uni-koeln.de> writes:
>=20
> When fsck throws you in some sort of single-user mode, no keymap is=20
> loaded.

That is the fault of your distribution. _My_ system doesn't do that, I =
have=20
done "dumpkeys >/etc/keymap", moved loadkeys to /bin, and /etc/rc.d/rc.=
has "/bin/loadkeys /etc/keymap". Problem solved.

> So if you're running with a non-us keyboard, you're in a nasty situat=
ion
> where you must recover with guessing the keystrokes (ok, I know them
> but a new user may fail).
> [Think of /usr not being available, so you can't simply use "loadkeys=
"].

Think of the contents of /bin as not being set cast in stone.

There are worse problems, especially with Slackware (which is what I as=
sume
you're using). Try booting with a dead disk in your /etc/fstab, or boot
singleuser and then go to multiuser, or ...

Hint to distribution makers: IMHO, it is the business of a singleuser b=
oot
to get you to a state where the console is usable and root is mounted.
NOTHING ELSE. You want fsck with fancy error handling and stuff, PLEASE
call it from rc.M (nonono, don't just put it in there) so that mere mor=
tals
can switch from single- to multiuser when we need to, and so that
singleuser boot after a crash does NOT take half an eternity (ever trie=
that stunt on a system with a handful of 9-gig drives??).=20

--=20
Cryptographers do it secretly.
--=20
Matthias Urlichs \ XLink-POP N=FCrnberg | EMail: urlichs@smurf.=
noris.de
Schleiermacherstra=DFe 12 \ Unix+Linux+Mac | Phone: ...please use =
email.
90491 N=FCrnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Networking+Programming+etc'i=
ng 42
PGP: 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 DE=20
Click <A HREF=3D"http://smurf.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>.