Re: init und Linux 1.3.69

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 06:19:07 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, greg@wind.rmcc.com (G.W. Wettstein) wrote:
> On Mar 6, 8:52pm, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>
> The most common problem with syslog messages stalling is the inability
> of syslogd to resolve a hostname into an IP address when forwarding of
> remote messages is in effect. Even with the needed IP address
> definitions in /etc/hosts the library resolver code takes a fair
> amount of time to timeout if named is not running locally or if a
> remote named is down or inaccessible.

There's a reason for this, IMHO, and it's called "Stream socket".

Linux does have working Unix-domain datagram sockets now.

I would like to suggest that we switch back, or support both. It's not
difficult; after all, the code should still be in syslogd and in libc,
right? Just create a /dev/log_d as a datagram socket. syslog could fallback
to a connect to /dev/log if /dev/log_d is unavailable.

--
Being a _man_ means knowing that one has a choice not to act like a 'man'.