Re: Is anyone using EXT FS

DUPRE Christophe (duprec@jsp.umontreal.ca)
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 01:47:04 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Mar 1996 mrodin@imsa.edu wrote:

> > > Can we get rid of the ext fs?
> >
> > We can, but we shouldn't.
> >
> > The ext filesystem is useful as a reference, to show where ext2 came
> > from, and illustrate what to avoid when creating a filesystem.
> >

> that is true, but there is a question of whether every academically
> interesting or useful to kernel programmers should be included in the
> stable production kernel source.
> if linux is to be truly successful, there has to be some consideration of
> what actual users are interested in.
> and as interesting and useful as the ext fs may be from a programming
> perspective, the general public does not, in short, care.

If you don't care, just do not compile it in. The whole fs directory
makes up for less than 0.05% of the kernel tree, so why no bear with it ?
Beside, I'm sure it's very interesting for a lot of people...

Christophe Dupre Universite de Montreal
Internet: duprec@jsp.umontreal.ca Qc, Canada
Montreal, Qc, Canada
"Nous ne sommes pas libres de ne pas etre libres, nous sommes obliges de
l'etre" - Fernando Savater

-- Geek Code 2.1 --
GCS d-- H+ s:++ g+ !p au-* a19 w+ v+ C++(+++) UIL++>+++ P+>++ L++
3- E---- N++ K W- M- V-- Y+ t++ 5++ !j R+ G- tv b++

#include <disclaimer.h>