RE: Adaptec 2940UW

Alex Pikus (beachnet@emi.net)
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 00:04:55 -0500

I am sorry to only offer my 5c-worth, but it has been a very well known
fact that Linux has much better BusLogic drivers than the newer AHA-294x
... I suggest "downgrading" to the BT-956C ....

Alex.

----------
From: Thayne Harbaugh[SMTP:thayne@lardav.com]
Sent: Friday, March 15, 1996 8:15 PM
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Cc: data@droopy.flint.net
Subject: Adaptec 2940UW

Raymond W. Lucke IV wrote:

--------Snip--------------------
Hmm.... Not sure if I can be of help, but can let you know that you are
not alone on 2940UW problems... we just purchased a P133/32mb RAM/2gb
SCSI drive/2940UltraWide server about a month ago and have had numerous
problems with the machine when it is under load... The machine has been
known to lock solid while backing up onto tape, etc...
Does that program do a large amount of CPU/disk intensive work? I am
getting very frusterated with that card.. I am just happy it never needs
to swap to the drive (the 32mb is more than enough for a file
server/router) or the sucker would crash every hour!

Anyway, I suspect the problem is in the driver Linux uses...

Scilab _IS_ CPU intensive but not very disk intensive. I totaly agree that
the
problem is in the driver. Any idea who wrote it and if it'll do any good
send them mail? Maybe we can help them test a fix?

thayne_harbaugh@lardav.com