Re: argh....73 does not work for me...

Richard Waltham (dormouse@farsrobt.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 21:38:40 +0000 (GMT)

> I have kerneld running and it should detect my calling ppp automatically.
>
> --jauder
>
> On Thu, 14 Mar 1996, Brian Edginton wrote:
>

> > > 73 compiles fine but when I try to load a module..... It gives....
> > >
> > > turtle%jauderho% insmod ppp
> > > slhc_free undefined
> > > slhc_init undefined
> > > slhc_toss undefined
> > > slhc_uncompress undefined
> > > slhc_remember undefined
> > > slhc_compress undefined
> > > linux-1.3.73
> >
> > try -
> > insmod slhc
> > insmod ppp
> >

> .sig under construction

Do you have SLIP built in to the kernel? I've a problem if SLIP or PPP is
built into the kernel and you try to use the other as a module then the slhc
symbols do not get exported. Only happens if one or the other is built in.
with either built in slhc is also compiled into the kernel and its symbols
don't get exported.

With neither built in slhc is made as a module so no problem there and
if both PPP and SLIP are built in then also no problem unless there is
something else that needs to find the exported slhc symbols.

Traced my problem down to a line in ../linux/net/core/dev.c - line 1361.
There is a call to slhc_install() which is CONDITIONALLY compiled. In my
case it NEVER gets compiled - slhc_install() NEVER gets called and the slhc
symbols are NEVER exported.

Could be my compiler or make I suppose - was using gcc 2.5.8 and make 3.74,
but I've now tried gcc 2.7.0 and make 3.74 without any change.

I've posted about this before with no sign of a comment from anyone. Would
be helpful to get the low down on this.

Is ../linux/net/core/dev.c broken or what?

Richard

--
Richard Waltham   |                             dormouse@farsrobt.demon.co.uk
  At home in      |                                    Compuserve 100421.1276