Re: 1.3.74: xconfig: soundcard broken

Avery Pennarun (apenwarr@foxnet.net)
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 16:47:57 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Andy Dustman wrote:

> xconfig craps out when I try to configure the soundcard. I can configure
> it just fine with menuconfig (Soundscape). Here's the trace.

This is a bug in the sound driver that shows up because xconfig is so picky.
The sound driver config file makes no reference to CONFIG_AEDSP16 except to
see if it is already set; thus, xconfig complains that it has never heard of
this variable.

It's not exactly robust that way, but it does help track down config.in bugs
better than menuconfig does. What if, for example, I set CONFIG_AEDSP16 and
then check for CONFIG_AEDSPl6 later? That is obviously a carefully
engineered typo, but that kind of thing could happen in real life.

Yes, I'm one of those people who likes "gcc -Wall -pedantic" :)

So the quick answer:
- take all references to CONFIG_AEDSP16 out of your
drivers/sound/Config.in file.

Hopefully Hannu will fix this soon.

Have fun,

Avery