Re: Kernel hack to load RAM disk + kernel

Hans Lermen (lermen@elserv.ffm.fgan.de)
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 21:46:11 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Bob S. Minowicz wrote:

> A friend told me of a hack that was discussed on this list not long ago
> that does something like loading a compressed image file that contains both a
> kernel image and a ram disk image. I may not even understand this correctly,
> but it gives me some half-baked ideas that I'd like to do a little more cooking
> on. It might be nice to have the hack so that I can see exactly what it does.

May be you mean bzImage+initrd. This is gone into the kernel (1.3.73).
Have a look at linux/Documentation/initrd.txt and at the announcement:

ftp://elserv.ffm.fgan.de/pub/linux/loadlin-1.6/ANNOUNCE-LILO+LOADLIN

Hans
<lermen@elserv.ffm.fgan.de>