Re: scrollback and VT switching

Simon Tatham (sgt20@cam.ac.uk)
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 11:08:35 GMT

harlan@mymenus.com wrote:
>1. Persisting scrollback on the VTs across VT switching would be a
>good thing.
>
>2. Being able to clear the scrollback is also good; I write a love-
>letter, I want to clear the scrollback when I log off (or when someone
>otherwise sits down, perhaps to use a different VT).

I agree. In fact I find it handy to be able to clear scrollback just
by switching VTs, rather than having to do an "echo -e" or anything
else arcane... but that's just me.

While we're discussing scrollback, another (trivial) thing I'd find
useful would be some way to shunt the entire screen of a console
into scrollback: essentially I want to scroll the screen up by N
lines, where N is the size of the screen... but I want to do this in
dumb text files like /etc/issue, rather than having to invoke a
shell script or anything. Maybe I'll do a patch for that, if anyone
else but me would find it useful.

/ o Simon Tatham E-mail to: sgt20@cam.ac.uk
\ I /\/\ O /\/ http://callisto.girton.cam.ac.uk/users/sgt20
/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Trinity College, Cambridge, CB2 1TQ, England