Re: console bacground color and blanking

Mika Raento (mikpera@cc.jyu.fi)
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 12:53:53 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Swen Thuemmler wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, Mika Raento wrote:
>

> > To my dismay I noticed that now the console blanking didn't switch to a
> > black screen anymore, but to a blue screen (serves me right for changing
> > the bg color by using a ioctl :-). I think it might be a more acceptable
> > behaviour if blanking the console would change the background to black as
> > well.
>
> Hmm, that's strange. I use setterm -background blue -store on all my
> consoles, and blanking still does work as expected (but this is perhaps
> not the shade of blue you are using...). The only problem I have with
> this is with programs using ncurses changing the background to black when
> clearing to end of line, which looks rather ugly. Interestingly, jed
> (using SLang) does not have this problem...

Maybe I was just using a bit too much force in changing the bg color. I
couldn`t get setterm to change the background permanently as everything
that switched the colors (like "ls --color") would change the bg color
back to black.

So I changed the bg color by changing the first color in the video
palette, which works for eveything :-). And no, my monitor doesn't
support vesa powersaving ( dropping h- or vsync) or I`d definitely use
that.

Mika

Mika Raento mailto:mikpera@cc.jyu.fi http://www.jyu.fi/~mikpera
-- "You can't *ADD* things and come out with *LESS* than you started with!"
-- "I can do that! It's a free country! I've got my rights!"
Have a look at Jukola '97 orienteering relay homepage at ~mikpera/jukola-97/