Re: imapd and synchronous writes

Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 08:40:23 +0100

On 14 Mar 96 at 15:24, Alan Cox wrote:

> > and the authors are looking at alternatives to sync writes which
> > preserve the metadata consistency (by using either ordered async
> > writes or rollback mechanisms).
>
> I'm under the impression some of the USL related people have a US software
> patent on ordered async writes. Probably worth someone checking this out.

Sorry, off topic: I wonder if someone has a patent on an unordered
desk. If it were true, my chaos on my desk would be against the US law.

Will the patent mentioned by you be also applied when planning the
tasks you want to do tomorrow? Comparing it to asynchronous writes,
what you don't do right now is "asynchronous"; when you are planning,
it may be "ordering". It could be illegal, maybe.

As long as we don't steal code from USL, I think the matter is rather
ridiculous!

> Alan

Ulrich Windl Klinikum der Universitaet Regensburg
Rechenzentrum DV-med Franz-Josef-Strauss-Allee 11
Tel: +49 941 944-5879 D-93053 Regensburg
FAX: +49 941 944-5882
Just imagine my mail address were <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni.r.de>...