Re: modules 1.3.69c..... and 74.....

Jauder Ho (jauderho@umich.edu)
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 12:26:41 -0500 (EST)

BTW I think the nm inside modprobe is FUCKED. I was not able to
use 73 because I thought it was a problem with the kernel. I downloaded
modules 1.3.69c this morning and installed it. After recompiling 1.3.74
on a 1.3.72 machine I decided to try out the new depmod feature of being
able to compute module dependencies for other than the currecnt kernel
version. So I did a depmod -a 1.3.74 and everything appeared to be good.
Upon reboot I got the messages "can't find dependency information" and
when I did a lsmod, no modules were loaded. I tried loading them by hand
using insmod. and that worked. so I did a depmod -a -e -v and was able to
use modules again.....

BTW

turtle:/u/jauderho# depmod -a -e -v
/lib/modules/1.3.74/block/floppy.o
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/1.3.74/block/loop.o
blkdev_open
blkdev_release

--Jauder

On Thu, 14 Mar 1996, Bjorn Ekwall wrote:

> Hi!
>
> You wrote:
> >

> > Maybe we can include a test at the end of make modules_install to
> > test for the version of depmod and if it is 1.3.69c and above , do a
> > depmod -a <new kernel version you just compiled> if
> > /lib/modules/<version>/modules.dep does not already exist.
> >
> > --Jauder
>
> Perhaps... later... I'm not completely satisfied with "depmod -a 1.19.123"
> as it works now. Jacques and I (hi Jacques!) had long discussions and
> worked on a lot of different strategies for creating a dependable (ouch)
> modules.dep. The semi-official support for forcing a version for depmod
> suffers from not using the same kernel symbols that are going to be used
> when the modules is going to be loaded.
>
> A "dare-devil" approach would be to make depmod a lot more "brain-dead"
> by not making it check for undefined symbols, but instead build the
> dependencies from the currently available module symbols.
> This would lower the quality of modules.dep, even though the modules.dep
> files would be identical on most occasions.
>
> I'm making some experiments with the depmod/modprobe sources in the
> modules-1.3.69? series right now, aiming towards a possible (finally)
> merge of the sources of depmod/modprobe/insmod. I'm also slowly
> cleaning up some loose ends here and there, and I'm actually thinking
> of finalizing the documentation (Oh dear! Is he sick or something? :-) )
>
> With the now official support for bootable ramdisks (bzImage) we are
> very close to the long-range goal that Jacques and I talked about
> way back in the "old days"... :-) Since "bzImage" makes it possible
> to boot to the ramdisk, execute programs, and then _change_ the root
> file system, a set of module utilites have to be available that won't
> eat all of the ramdisk at the expense of the modules...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bjorn <bj0rn@blox.se> <http://www.pi.se/blox/>

.sig under construction