Re: SMC Etherpower PCI card not responding

Liam Hudson (l.hudson02@ic.ac.uk)
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 11:12:25 +0000

Bret Robinson wrote:

> I am having problems getting an SMC Etherpower PCI ethernet card to work. I
> am running kernel version 1.3.20 with the following hardware config:
>
> ASUS P/I-P55TP4XE P100 Motherboard
> 32Mb RAM
> Adaptec AHA-2940 PCI SCSI adapter
> Seagate ST31230N HDD (about 1 GB)
> Trident 8900 video card
>
> I have downloaded and compiled in the latest version of the tulip.c (v0.10)
> and when I re-compile the kernel I get the following messages (these are
> the only warning/error messages I get when compiling):
>
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-1.3.20/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
> -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -m486 -c dummy.c
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-1.3.20/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
> -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -m486 -c -o tulip.o tulip.c
> tulip.c: In function `dec21040_init':
> tulip.c:234: warning: passing arg 4 of `pcibios_read_config_dword' from
> incompatible pointer type
> rm -f net.a
> ar rcs net.a Space.o auto_irq.o net_init.o loopback.o dummy.o tulip.o
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-1.3.20/drivers/net'
>
> Before I re-compiled, I also did a make config; make dep; make clean to make
> sure there wasn't anything around that shouldn't be.
>
> After re-compiling and copying the kernel in place (and re-do lilo install), I
> can reboot the system and the ethernet card is seen and seems to be
> initialised. The card's link light is on and the tx/rx light is active. I can
> ping the localhost (127.0.0.0), but if I try and ping something that is
> actually on the network nothing happens at all. After aborting the ping,
> ifconfig shows that no packets were sent or received on eth0. After a few
> minutes the card's link and tx/rx lights go out. I have tried this with
> three different cards and all act the same way (I have also run the
> ezstart smc diags on all card and they check out ok). Does anyone have
> any idea what the problem could be? I can get the system working with 16-bit
> SMC cards but would like to get it working with these cards.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> | Bret Robinson, Unix & Network Admin \ Voice: +1-604-528-7984 |
> | City of Abbotsford, BC, Canada \ Fax: +1-604-528-2529 |
> | B.Robinson@city.abby.bc.ca \ |
> | "Keep your stick on the ice" \___ o <- puck (for US viewers) |

Hi,

I also have had no luck getting either the 0.10 or 0.07a drivers working with the 1.3.*
kernels. I have however found that the 0.05 drivers work fine.

For more information look at Don Beckers home page at:

http://cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/

Oh, and let me know if you get 0.10 working !!

Thanks

Liam

| Liam Hudson             | Imperial College Of Science & Tech | Flat 1, 194 Cromwell Rd.|
| l.hudson02@ic.ac.uk     | South Kensington, London           | Earls Court, London     |
| 0171 594 7685           | SW5 2BZ                            | SW7 0SN                 |