Re: XFree86 uses up virtual terminals

Kayvan Sylvan (kayvan@sylvan.com)
Thu, 14 Mar 96 02:38 PST

>>>>> "AB" == Andries Brouwer <Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl> writes:

Kayvan> I posted a query about this already, and the only reply I got
Kayvan> was someone saying "There's a process using the virtual
Kayvan> terminal", but that doesn't appear to be the case.

AB> Nevertheless I would conjecture that it is true.

I would like that to be the case. I compiled up the "fuser" code,
which works great at detecting processes using files, and it shows no
process using tty7 (the first available virtual terminal after tty1-6,
which are opened by incarnations of getty).

AB> There are many ways a process could use a tty directly or indirectly.

Hmmm... Can you elaborate here? How can a tty be used indirectly in
such a way that it becomes unavailable?

AB> Try to also make /dev/tty1[0-9] and watch what X does. It will
AB> cycle.

Okay, but how? Where's the state information that tells it "you used
tty7 last, so now use tty9"??

AB> (If not then there would be a bug in tty close - but nobody sees
AB> such a bug.)

Okay, cool. I want to understand this (and fix it).

Thanks.

---Kayvan

--
"The trust and respect of a child is an honor to be earned, not demanded."
Kayvan Sylvan         | Sylvan Associates           | Proud Dad of:
kayvan@Sylvan.COM     | http://www.isp.net/~kayvan  | Katherine Yelena (8/8/89)
(408) 978-1407 PGP OK | Ask me about Avatar.        | Robin Gregory (2/28/92)