Re: ext2 in a dos file/partition

Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds@kjahds.com)
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 11:32:09 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 9 Mar 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> While at USENIX, I saw the _correct_ way to do a union FS. It was done
> as a pre-loaded shared library, and because of that it was a lot more
> flexible than any kernel implementation would ever be (it was not
> limited to the unix mount global state: it was used more like Plan-9's
> dynamic per-process mounting).

You mean by (effectively) wrapping the libc file I/O functions? This seems
feasible, but I wonder about coherency and race conditions with each process
doing it's own "inheritance", and how the information on inheriting mounts
would be disseminated. (I suppose a deamon using IPC could resolve a lot
of this.)

> After having seen that, I don't think I necessarily would even want a
> kernel implementation. It simply was so much better done in user
> space..

If my guess is right, it sounds like it has it's own problems, but even so it
must be less painful then doing it in kernel space.