Re: VFS panic: cannot mount root filesystem

Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 09:16:52 +0100

On 14 Mar 96 at 0:11, Michael J. Micek wrote:

> > On 12 Mar 96 at 13:24, I wrote:

[...]
> I haven't had this problem, but you aren't the first person
> to be bit with the "make mrproper ... make oldconfig" thing.
> (I don't use make oldconfig.)
>
> > To make it clearer: The kernel always fails, not only from time to
> > time. 1.3.68 works; therefore I guess it's not my partition.
>
> yup, because:
>
> > I'll include the .config;
> > maybe it's related with it.
>
> > # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE is not set
>
> > # CONFIG_SCSI is not set
>
> In other words, you can't mount the filesystem because you
> haven't included any support for any kind of hard drive!

Stupid thing! It must have been a bad "make oldconfig".
But this brings me back to my original suggestion:

CAN'T A BETTER ERROR MESSAGE BE SUPPLIED?

In my case the kernel tried to access a device that was not in the
kernel (IDE). Can't the kernel say something like "03": no such
device"?

> --
> Michael J. Micek, peripatetic philosopher. Try 'em all (Mt 8:20) mmicek@nyx.net
> mmicek@muddcs.cs.hmc.edu Hi! sam@butthead.colorado.edu ab496@freenet.uchsc.edu