Re: ncpfs

John Reilly (c3jreill@compapp.dcu.ie)
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 15:46:47 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, Thayne Harbaugh wrote:

> Add the "+". I tried adding exactly what it said I didn't need to add but it
> still didn't work. I had to remove the "*" from the "+:*::::" (or whatever it
> was). The "*" tells the system that no one can use that login except root.
> Removing the "*" tells the system that the password is disabled for that login.
> I see saw this as a security problem if I removed the "*" so I tried to login
> as "+" - I wouldn't let me and said it was an invalid login. Apparently the
> system knows about "+" and only uses it to refer to the NIS server.

You cannot login without user & group ID's and a shell

John Reilly CA3 -- c3jreill@compapp.dcu.ie
http://www.compapp.dcu.ie/~c3jreill/
"When they took the 4th Amendment, I said nothing since I don't sell drugs.
When they took the 6th Amendment, I said nothing since I am innocent.
When they took the 2nd Amendment, I said nothing since I didn't own a gun.
But when they took the 1st Amendment, I don't have the right to say anything."