Re: 1.3.72 instability

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 23:25:25 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> Note that it's possible to make insmod dump the symbol table to /tmp,
> and so if you know that you need to debug a particular module, it is
> possible to interpret the stack trace --- manually.
>
> Perhaps Bjorn (hint, hint) could be pursuaded to think about some scheme
> where insmod dumps the symbol table in some standard location, based on
> the module name, and then update ksymoops to understand how to look at
> those additional symbol tables? :-)

This is probably too simple/hackish for most people's taste...but it
seems to work for me. My system is pretty simple...a 1.2.13 box running
RocketPorts as a terminal server with rocket.o the only loadable module
in use. I changed the insmod to:

insmod -fm $ROCKET_MODULE $ROCKET_ARG >/tmp/maps/rocket.map.`date
"+%m-%d-%Y-%H.%M"`

Then when there's an Oops, I take the most recent rocket.map* file and
cat the appropriate System.map | cat - rocket.map.blah | ksym.pl trace.cut
and out comes a list of locations and calls.

ksym.pl is a really quickly thrown together perl script (I'd be embarrased
to distribute it) similar to (but not as nice/powerful as) ksymoops that
works with edited 1.2.13 Oops's since ksymoops didn't want to without much
Oops massaging.

Jon Lewis | Mime attachments are OK
jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net | But please ask before sending
http://inorganic5.fdt.net | unsolicited huge files.