Re: 1.3.72 instability

Chris Evans (chris@jcr00.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 13:46:29 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

[OOPS in gpm removed...]

> > EIP: 1013583: OUT OF RANGE
> > 10131eb: "
> > 1011040: "
> > 1217dd: chrdev_open
> > 11fd76: do_open
> > 11fe2e: sys_open
> > 10a469: system_call
>
> I've seen a few of these, and they _all_ seem to be related to module
> use. I simply cannot debug panic's that happen in a module (as you can
> see, the stack trace and EIP are not even found by ksymoops), especially
> as I don't even know _what_ module it is.
>
> (It _looks_ like this might be a mouse module, as it's gpm that crashes,
> but which one?)

mouse.o, psaux.o

> I'd love to fix this, but I need more information. When does it seem to
> happen? The above looks like it happened while trying to open the mouse
> (?) device, but it obviously doesn't happen all the time, or your
> machine wouldn't stay up for even one day..

Generally seems to happen when using X. I have gpm running all the time,
X starts up fine despite this. It's probably a bad idea to have X + gpm
competing for the mouse, but at any rate this should not be able to cause
a kernel crash. I'm not sure if the crashes occur when starting X or
during usage of X. It always seems to get other users :(

> For stability, you might try just compiling in the mouse driver instead
> of using a module, but to be frank I'd much rather see the problem
> fixed. And for that I'd need you to test it out a bit more and try to
> find a pattern _when_ it happens, and more information on what your
> system setup is (ie which module, how you load it etc etc)

OK - I'm on 1.3.72 still. Normally, kerneld loads mouse.o and psaux.o
automatically at bootup when "gpm -t ps2" is run. These modules should
stay permanently loaded. But after the last crash, my system logs showed
a string of
"PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed"

Strange.

At the moment I have the two moudles permanently loaded with the
"insmod -m" command so I now have a symbol map for whenever the system
next decides to crash!

-- Chris

PS Incidentally, anyone care to send me a ksymoops binary suitable for a
486? I haven't been bothered to install all the stuff needed for c++
compiles.